Sands Baseball Academy
As stated in our Bold Vision, Delta School District strives “to be a leading district in innovative teaching and learner success.”
We believe our Academy Programs are testament to our goal of engaging learners through stimulating, relevant and inspiring educational experiences. Each of our unique academies creates an environment where our students feel great pride and, in turn, great success. Our passionate teachers and outstanding professional coaches work hard at building positive, trusting, and encouraging relationships with our learners.
The Baseball Academy at Sands Secondary is an example of Delta’s commitment to offering choice programs that enable learners to engage in their passion during the school day.
10840 82 Avenue
Delta BC V4C 2B3
Phone: 604 594-3474
Baseball Academy Goals
- To provide young student/athletes with an environment conducive to personal development both athletically and socially.
- To provide an opportunity to improve individual baseball skill development and gain the satisfaction of personal success.
- To provide an avenue for student-athletes to understand and enjoy the benefits of good health and physical condition through a consistent program of exercise/nutrition/training.
- To develop an understanding of the value of team play in an effort to reach a common goal.
- To develop an appreciation of the effect of positive reinforcement from coaches and teammates towards improved performance and greater self-esteem/self-confidence.
- To aid in the personal development of each and every individual in a combined academic/athletic environment; this will serve as a solid foundation for future endeavors and enhance student’s opportunities for post secondary athletic/academic scholarships.
- To establish a positive attitude, good work ethic and a high level of enthusiasm towards the sport of Baseball.
Facts about the Program
- This academy is open to male and female students in Grades 8 – 12
- Two blocks in a student’s timetable
- Delta students may attend Sands Secondary part-time to participate in the Baseball Academy. (Bell schedules are similar at each secondary school in Delta; lunchtime provides time for students to move between schools to attend an academy at another school)
- Receive credit for PE at the appropriate grade and Superfit 10 -12
- Total of 8 credits per year toward graduation (Grade 10 -12)
- Facilities include Mackie Diamond, Mackie Turf field, Delsom park, The Ballyard at Sport central and Sands/Sungod gym facilities
Please note: For a fee, transportation is currently provided to Sands Baseball Academy from Burnsview, Seaquam, Delta and South Delta Secondary. Bussing is not provided from Delview or North Delta Secondary.
The Baseball Academy is in Blocks G and H during Period 3 and 4. These blocks occur every other afternoon.
Equipment and Supplies
Students are supplied with the following Academy clothing:
- Baseball pants. Jersey, T-shirts, shorts, hoodie and cap
- Students must supply – runners/cleats, glove, bat (own helmet recommended)